Sharing A Few More Pictures From The Padre Pio Journey

Good evening everyone.
Before I share some of todays experiences with you, I want to share a few pictures that didnt make it into my last post.

cap-saying-above-door.jpg

At the Friary in San Giovanni Rotondo, I saw this great saying painted above the door to an area where the Friars have meals. It translates to If you think its not enough, remember poverty.

cap-cardinal-painting.jpg

Inside the room where we had lunch at the Friary, directly across from where I was sitting, there was a large painting on the wall above the door depicting a group of Capuchins eating a meal. I had to chuckle, because there, in the middle of the painting, was a Capuchin Cardinallol.

mountain-range-drive-home.jpg

We saw spectacular mountain ranges on our drive back from San Giovanni Rotondo.

mountain-range-2.jpg

secretaries.jpg

There was a Secretaries table at the Friary lunch. Sitting next to Fr. Brian is the Secretary to the Archbishop of the San Giovanni Rotondo region, Fr. Alessandro Rocchetti, and next to Fr. Alessandro is the Secretary to the Capuchin General.

img_0355.JPG

On the way home from San Giovanni Rotondo, our driver Antonio pulled off to the side of the highway so we could look at the beautiful coastline and the greenish tinted waters of the Adriatic Sea.

cardinal-with-adriatic-sea.jpg

crowded-pews-at-padre-pio-mass.jpg

Thinking about the thousands of people who came to the Padre Pio celebration over the weekend, its interesting to note that in addition to the many Italian pilgrims who travel to San Giovanni Rotondo, a large number of Irish travel to Padre Pios Shrine. For some reason, Padre Pio has been very, very popular in Ireland. Many Irish over the years, even when Padre Pio was alive, would come to San Giovanni Rotondo. There are many prayer groups in Ireland….thousands of Irish belong to Padre Pio prayer groups. Its hard to explain why exactly. Ireland, traditionally, has been very Catholic. But, Padre Pio has captured their imagination and there is a connection. There are Capuchins in Ireland, but we are certainly not one of the larger communities there.

14 Responses to Sharing A Few More Pictures From The Padre Pio Journey

Comments

1. Comment by Joe Speechley | 2006/09/24 at 20:54:44

Thanks for sharing your journey. Fun to read your posts and see your photos! Such a well-deserved honor for you !

And great to see the San Giovanni Rotondo!

Joe Speechley
    DeKalb, IL 60115

2. Comment by Karen M. | 2006/09/24 at 21:28:57

These pictures are gorgeous! I think the blog is a great idea. Thank you, Cardinal Sean, for sharing your journey with us. :-)

3. Comment by Sandy | 2006/09/25 at 09:12:45

Beautiful pictures, your Eminence, I had no idea that the Irish have a fond affinity to St. Padre Pio, but why not, :-).

I don’t live in America so I have no idea about the miracles to be investigated in Boston.

I do, however, pray everyday for Ven. Solanus Casey, that one day he too, will become a Saint of the Church!

Greeting’s in Christ

4. Comment by Felix | 2006/09/25 at 09:15:36

Dear Sean, Thank You for taking the time to share your impressions, views and moments to remember on your trip to Italy and to San Giovanni. All of us here appreciate the pictures and the opinions. Fraternally, Felix

5. Comment by Gisela Barry | 2006/09/25 at 15:44:23

My parish priest told me about your blog. I have a special fondness for Capuchins and I know Fr. Bill Wiethorn and Fr. Jim Menkhus personally. Several years ago, I arranged for a field trip to Barto, Pa where there is an ersatz Padre Pio site. One of these days I hope to visit San Giovanni Rotondo. In the meantime I enjoyed your pictures.

God bless,

Gisela

6. Comment by Pauline T. Paquin | 2006/09/25 at 15:51:55

These pictures are very beautiful – such exceptional quality! Thank you for sharing them with the faithful.

7. Comment by brother lesser | 2006/09/25 at 17:38:07

I absolutely love this blog!

Dr. Tom Shields was stationed in Italy as a U. S. Army Air Corps surgeon during WWII, eventually retiring at the rank of Colonel.

Tom was an agnostic.

During the war, Tom heard about “this Padre Pio” and decided to visit him (more to satisfy his idle curiousity than for any other reason.)

Padre Pio allowed Tom to personally inspect his stigmata. The only words Tom was capable of muttering was, “Oh my God, it’s real!”

When Tom passed away a few years ago, he was an “on-fire” Christian and actually traveled about talking to men’s groups about the Gospel.

8. Comment by Frank Rega | 2006/09/25 at 18:02:38

Dear Cardinal Sean, thank you so very much for your comments and pictures of your time with Padre Pio in San Giovanni Rotondo. I will forward the address of your blog to our 350-member Padre Pio internet prayer/discussion group, I am sure they will enjoy it. Also I will mail you a copy of my book “Padre Pio and America,” recently published by TAN. Look for it!!
    Peace and prayers for a safe journey,
    Frank Rega

9. Comment by John Schmit | 2006/09/25 at 23:05:39

Your Eminence:

Thank you very much for the excellent blog and superb photos of your trip and celebration of the Feast Day of St. Pio at San Giovanni Rotondo. Just this Saturday, I was reading a book about St. Pio and was curious as to what his Shrine looked liked. Your photos and narrative have now convinced me that a visit to this Shrine is a ‘must do’ for me.

Thank you again for your lively narrative and the great pictures (also those of the different churches in Rome which I was unaware of).

Best regards,

John Schmit
    Austin, TX

10. Comment by Sr. Diane Dube, RJM | 2006/09/26 at 10:00:48

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with the faithful. This is such a great gift for our diocese. I am looking forward to your reflections and pictures on the Gesu. Thank you again for the lovely photos and helpful comments.

11. Comment by Barbara Spencer | 2006/09/26 at 12:07:57

The mention of your blog, believe it or not, was highlighted on Yahoo Canada. What a great idea to post your trip so that we armchair readers can share in your journey. The pictures are beautiful and your stories very interesting. I look forward to reading something of your trip each day. God bless you for your kindness and may God continue to pour his richest blessings upon you.
    Barbara Spencer
    La Paz, BCS, Mexico

12. Comment by Ann Melia | 2006/09/26 at 13:13:44

Thank you Cardinal Sean, you make me want to visit Italy and see the beautifuly churches that you have visited.

13. Comment by Chris Peschel | 2006/09/27 at 20:46:45

Thank you for all that you do as Archbishop of Boston. I hope that your trip Rome and other parts of Italy was great. I was there myself in June. I loved the Gesu, but I was particularly moved down in the Scavi (Bishop Coleman recommended that one). When I left Rome I spent a week with Augustinian Friars in San Gimignano in the Tuscany Region. I’m praying for you Cardinal Sean, please pray for my vocation. I know myself and the rest of the people in the Fall River Diocese will never forget how much of an influence you had on our lives and how good of a job you did as our bishop. This blog was a great idea, you should keep it going after your trip, I know a few people who find it very interesting. You have some really great pictures, I’ll have to share some from my “European excursion” with you someday. Take good care, and best regards.

In Christ,

Chris Peschel
    1st College Franciscan University

14. Comment by John | 2006/09/28 at 07:09:59

Dear Cardinal Sen

Lovely to see your blog. I haven’t been in Italy for some years and am now all fired-up and rarin’ to go again, particularly to San Giovanni.

In relation to Padre Pio and the Irish, the connection may indeed go back even before the last war but certainly Irish servicemen fighting in the British Army in Italy would have brought back news (just as Americans did). In any event his name was well established by the 50s and 60s, even before his death, and has grown exponentially ever since. It is very common to see St Pio medallions and windscreen stickers on cars and pilgrimages to San Giovanni are organised in most parishes. Floreat!

With all best wishes from Ireland.