My First Post Since Returning From Rome

Hello everyone. Its good to back home in Boston.

Im pleased for the opportunity to continue communicating with you through my blog on an ongoing basis now that we are home.

cardinal-sean-pic-2-a.jpg

Before I share with you some of my week since I returned, Id like to take a minute to respond to several questions that came to me from blog visitors. I would very much like to take a bit of time each week in my blog posts to answer some of your questions. So, please feel free to submit a question through the comment mechanismIll try to answer several of them each week. Again, I am grateful for all of the well wishes, prayers and thoughts that so many people have left in their comments. I have enjoyed and appreciated your thoughtful comments and heartfelt messages.

First, QuaVadis asked about the Cross above the main Altar, which was shown in the pictures from the Padre Pio Mass and celebration.
(pic)

QuaVadis comments and asks:

Most Revererend Eminence,
Having came upon your blog, I am delighted with the wonderful pictures that you have posted up with regards to your trip to the Shrine of Padre Pio and to Rome, however, a point of note, I find that the Cross above the Altar at the Padre Pio Shrine, a tad too modernistic for my taste, dnt you agree?

Artistically, it does not add much to the pleasure of the eyes and I am confused by the significance of the structures which rather destroys the beauty of the shrine.
Comment by QuaVadis

altar-view.jpg

Well, the large church that holds 10,000 pilgrims is a very modern, contemporary structure. The furnishings are also very contemporary. On the other side of the piazza, however, is the original Church, which is a typical traditional Italian Church with a Baroque-style altar. I think that they chose not to mix the styles. Im not an authority on the architecture or furnishings of the new Church, but I understand that the same artist who did the Cross also did the chalices, the ciboria and the cover for The Book. They are all very beautiful. So one can see both the modern, contemporary elements as well as the traditional when visiting the Padre Pio Shrine.

Sr. Anne commented and inquired about my technological proficiency in regards to the uploading of images that are posted on my blog:

Great blog! So glad to see a churchman at your level take advantage of the possibilities of communication technology. But please tell me you have technical help uploading all those photos! What a lot of work that is to upload and caption (Or maybe you just have a fantastic program to work with?)
Comment by Sr. Anne

Sister, I can tell youI have a fantastic program!LOL!

Last Friday, Kristy wrote a comment to both Msgr. Robert Deeley and me, and asked:

In your opinion, what place has the best gelati in Rome? My husband and I recently spent our honeymoon in Rome and we liked Cafe Della Palma (near the Pantheon & Gesu) the most scrumptious.
May God bless you both. You are in our prayers, please pray for us newlyweds!!
Comment by Kristy

First Kristy, I wish you and your husband all the best and you are indeed both in my prayers. I cannot speak for Msgr. Deeley in regards to his favorite gelato. However, its my experience that its very difficult to find a bad meal in Rome.or bad gelati. I would say the gelati around the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona is very tastybut frightfully overpricedlol!

Finally, there was a very personal and thoughtful comment from Eddie, a Bostonian, now living in Philadelphia. The following was the very moving comment he sent through the blog:

I have been a catholic all my life. I now live in Philly, career reasons, I miss Boston so much. Thank you for being a human. I like so many go to church for weddings and funerals. My Dad taught me to do the sign of the cross when we passed a catholic church. Sometimes, but not often I will do it, I love Jesus and I know like all of us I am a sinner, and I hope that Jesus will forgive me for any thing I may do stupid. Padre Sean, I reading the Boston papers on line, admire you and the faith you have given to Boston residents, past and present. I grew up in North Quincy and went to Sacred Heart church. After the death of both parents, I fell away from the church. Reading your blog makes me feel that maybe its time to come home, to the church and to Jesus?
Comment by Eddie

Eddie, in your Baptism, you were called to be part of a family, a community of faith, part of the Body of Christ. Wherever your journey may have taken you up to this point, know that the Lord is always calling you home to be part of that community of faith, part of that family; that is the Church. We live in a society that is highly individualistic where people are increasingly more alienated from others. But Christ came in order to call us to be part of something bigger than ourselves.

I am very touched by the fact that the reflections on this blog have helped to rekindle in you an interest in that faith that you received in Baptism. I would certainly encourage you to come home. Im sure that there are many wonderful Parishes and Priests in Philadelphia that could help you to reconnect with the Church. Id be happy to share those names with you if you are interested.

Well, its always a challenge to catch up after youve been away for even a short while. In the midst of this week, we had the wonderful celebration of St. Francis. St. Francis was such an incredible figure. His life has inspired millions of people to try to live the gospel more generously, more radically. Certainly his deep awareness of the Fatherhood of God and the fact that we are all Gods children, called to be universal brothers and sisters is a very important part of the message of St. Francis.

Everyone knows St. Francis Peace Prayer:

Lord make me an instrument of your peace
Where there is hatred,
Let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, truth;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, Joy.

O Divine Master grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled
As to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are
Born to eternal life.

St. Francis Peace Prayer is a beautiful prayer that is basically about sacrificial love. We must be prepared to seek to be consolers rather than be consoled, to understand others, to give of ourselves…to love rather than be loved. Its a sacrificial love that Jesus has taught us with his own example.and the life of St. Francis was lived to such a wonderful degree.

The other striking thing about St. Francis life is that despite his great austerity and poverty, he was such a joyful person. Thats one reason that so many people followed him. As I always tell our young people, we reach maturity when we get to that point in life when we know the difference between having fun and being happy. St. Francis had a lot of fun when he was young, but he realized he really wasnt happy until he began to follow Christ.

We have the custom, the night before the October 4th Feast of St. Francis, to gather in a prayer service, which we call the Transitus. So I gathered with the Capuchins here in Jamaica Plainand we have a community in Roxbury.and so the two communities came together and we prayed the Psalms that St. Francis prayed when he was dying. We also read accounts from his biographer about his death and read the passage from St. Johns Gospel about the Last Supper and Jesus farewell and great commandment of love. That was the Gospel that St. Francis asked to be read to him when he was dying. The next day, I had Mass at St. Cecilia on the Feast of St. Francisit was actually the Closing Mass for the International Catholic Stewardship Conference, being hosted in Boston.

The International Catholic Stewardship Conference brought many, many people from all across the United States and from all over the World to Boston. There were many Bishops, Priests, Religious, Deacons and lay leaders who came together to study about the spirituality of stewardship, which is not just a fundraising gimmick, but rather a way of involvement in the life of the Church by which we share our time, treasure and talent with others in life of discipleship. I know that members of our staff, led by our manager of parish stewardship Michael Rhodes, worked very hard to host this event and we are grateful for their efforts.

It was a great joy for me, that, in part of the delegation from South America here for the conference, was one of my closest friends, Bishop Adalberto Martinez. He was sent here from Paraguay to be part of the conference. He stayed with us at the Cathedral for a few days. Bishop Adalberto was the first priest that I ordained in the Virgin Islands and now hes the Bishop of a huge Diocese in South America.

I also wanted to share with you a meeting that transpired yesterday here in Brighton. One of my functions as Archbishop is to bring together – on periodic occasions each year – the Bishops of the region to talk about issues of common interest. Its part of the role of the Archbishop and yesterday I held one of those meetings. We discussed a number of topics including vocations and the Seminary. We also talked about our Priests who are serving the military and the need for Chaplains in the National Guard.

bishops-meeting.jpg

Bishops of the Boston Province Gathered Yesterday.

Some of you may not be familiar with the use of the term Province in regards to Boston. An Archdiocese has satellite Dioceses with it, which all form a Province. Our Province is made up of Springfield, Fall River, Worcester, the Archdiocese of Boston, as well as the Dioceses that are Manchester (NH), Maine and Vermont. So six Dioceses and the Archdiocese form what we call the Province of Boston. I am what is known as the Metropolitan of the Province.

Well, I hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend. The weather in Boston this week has been wonderful and I hope it continues that way for all of us to enjoy.

Until my post next Friday.

God Bless,

Cardinal Sen

64 Responses to My First Post Since Returning From Rome

Comments

1. Comment by brother lesser | 2006/10/06 at 16:25:51

Dearest Cardinal Sean-

Welcome home, dear Shepherd. I will hold you dear to my heart in prayer as I steal away for a weekend of prayer and fasting in the forests and hills surrounding Jerusalem, Ohio. (Yes, Cardinal Sean, there really is such a place.)

2. Comment by Jeff Miller | 2006/10/06 at 18:09:41

I think it should be noted that the Prayer of St. Francis was not written by St. Francis. It first showed up on prayer cards produced by Third Order Franciscans around World War I. It looks like the true origin of the prayer was Blessed Giles.

Though I had little doubt that St. Francis approves of the prayer attributed to him since it has such a Franciscan charism to it.

I am curious as to if you will change your blog title to something that can be used more permanently, of which I do hope that you do maintain this blog.

3. Comment by michael g. b. | 2006/10/06 at 19:31:49

“to dream the impossible dream” . . . so this is just a thought . . . a wish of the imagination . . . a “dream” perhaps — in an earlier comment post on Your blog i had mentioned that i attended Saint francis Seraphic Seminary on Old River Road in Andover MA (Lowell) . . . if one googles in quotes “The Death Of Two Monasteries” you can find some beatiful photos of Saint francis Seminary (which looks still the dame as it did back in 1962 when i was there – at least on the outside – the chapel was redone i guess after vatican II) and the now empty convent across the street (where i remember meeting a nun in the vsisiting room through the screen on the day of her taking her vows there) —

times change and things change . . . as the late George Harrison sang, “All Things Must Pass” . . .

but would’nt it be great to see a “resurrection” of Saint Francis Seraphic Seminary . . . and see the vibrancy of life return to that building and it hallways and to those Franciscan grounds? at one time in history it must have seemed unliekly that “life” would return to a certain tomb in Jerusalem after Good Friday . . . but the “impossible” became not just “possible” but actual . . .

perhaps through the prayers of Padre Pio that Resurrected Chirst’s hand may touch that colonaded buidling and bring it alive once again as well . . .

well . . . it’s just a thought . . . and a prayer . . . and my visit to those photographs via the “google link” was a happy nostalgic re-visiting of a time over 44 years ago for me. :)

4. Comment by Kelly Clark | 2006/10/06 at 21:55:57

In response to Sister Anne’s question re: the maintaining of this blog, His Eminence responded:

Sister, I can tell youI have a fantastic program!LOL!

Wait, lemme guess…is it called Real Good Techie Assistants? :-)

Kelly

5. Comment by Marci | 2006/10/06 at 22:06:34

I thank you for writing this blog and for the beautifiul pictures you post to it too. Your work is educational and inspiring.

6. Comment by Mary McCarthy | 2006/10/07 at 09:04:30

Cardinal Sean…
    Wow, I am impressed with your blog – and your technical savvy! Reading your words connects me to something very special. At times it has offered a much needed boost to my soul. The photos are fabulous, too. Thanks for keeping it all so real…

7. Comment by Guy N. Hurst | 2006/10/07 at 11:03:48

Thank you so much for explaining one of your functions as Archbishop, and for explaining what makes up a “province”. It was also very interesting to see how many bishops you met with.

No one ever seems to explain such things, but why should it take a specialist to know? So thank you for making it more common knowledge.

8. Ann
    Comment by Ann | 2006/10/07 at 11:08:25

We are so happy to have you back Cardinal Sean.
    Thank you for the wonderful experience you gave to us by letting us share with you your beautiful trip to Italy.

9. Comment by Robert Barbato | 2006/10/07 at 11:40:09

Peace! Glad you are back home, and thanks for your blog. I am amazed you have time to do this, but glad that you do. God bless you always!

10. Comment by Maria Teresa Frias | 2006/10/07 at 16:20:22

Dear Padre Sean, your reflections about Saint Francis’ prayer are so true. Thank you. What a pleasing news to know that Bishop Adalberto was with you on the Feast of Saint Francis! Both of you have been living your lives in his simplicity and friendship and both of you are still showing us the love and presence of our Lord in our midst. Keep up the good work that both of you have our prayers and love.

11. Comment by Lora | 2006/10/07 at 19:03:26

I am always amazed at what I find on your blog, and glad that a prince of the Church is down to earth enough to do something like this!! Prayers
    ~Lora~

12. Comment by Molly | 2006/10/08 at 08:14:44

I was drawn to your site by an email from Boston VOTF in which you were quoted. (See below)

“In the church today, in most parishes, so much of the leadership of the parishes and in the ministries is carried on by women, both religious and lay women. Anyone who doubts the important role of women in the church is not looking carefully at what the reality is. The church could never
    function without women and their leadership, work and effort.”
    – Cardinal Sean O’Malley, http://www.cardinalseansblog.org

I am a lay woman who has spent most of her life devoted to our Church. Your comments was very much appreciated.
    YSIC,
    Molly

13. Comment by brother lesser | 2006/10/08 at 15:49:40

Dearest Cardinal Sean:

Every place I went this past weekend, everyone was raving about your blog. It would appear that not as many people respond on your blog as compared to the vast numbers of those who read it.

YOU ARE REALLY MAKING A DIFFERENCE!

The Lord give you peace!

14. Comment by Mary Connor | 2006/10/08 at 18:46:16

Thank you for soliciting comments and questions. I’m very concerned for our children’s future because of the assaults on marriage and the family. What more can we do, aside from individually contacting our legislators, to promote the Protection of Marriage Amendment? Could you urge a concerted prayer effort? Perhaps novenas, Eucharistic Adoration days? I know St. Padre Pio said, “The rosary is the weapon” and our society is certainly engaged in a spiritual battle for souls.

15. Comment by Vince Kimball | 2006/10/08 at 19:48:52

Thank you for taking the time to maintain this blog. It is so wonderful to get a glimpse into the great work that you do as our Archbishop.

— Vince

16. Ben
    Comment by Ben | 2006/10/08 at 23:29:56

Welcome back to Boston!!! Thanks for continuing the blog. You are in my prayers.

17. Comment by Sissy Willis | 2006/10/09 at 08:58:03

Your blog is truly warm and wonderful and inspiring, and I’m not even catholic. As the late Oriana Fallaci said, “If an atheist and a pope [Papa Ratzi] think the same things, there must be something true.”

My question for you, should you find time and interest to respond in a future post, is what are we to make of the Amish community’s forgiveness of the torturer and murderer of their children? My thinking is that their response is only the other side of the coin of Islamic radicals’ violent response to the slightest offense. In my view, both — presumably justified by religious arguments — are not only extreme but inhuman. The Amish response amounts to appeasement of bad behavior, which would seem to encourage rather than restrain future bad acts.

18. Comment by croberts | 2006/10/09 at 10:54:20

I have never read any “blogs’ before yours!
    And yours was well worth the wait!!!
    You are a gift from God to the people of the archdiocese,
    and we are grateful for your presence.
    I am from Topsfield.
    Your warm and informative words are so helpful in
    understanding what your days are like as you minister
    to such a large number of people!
    I will pray for you everyday as you carry out the Lord’s work!!!
    yours in Christ,
    cmr

19. Comment by Graham Lake | 2006/10/09 at 11:06:39

I have enjoyed reading your daily postings from your recent trip to Rome. I was so pleased to learn that you plan to continue with the postings.

Graham Lake
    London, United Kingdom

20. Comment by Marty Tantum | 2006/10/09 at 11:32:14

Re: Eddie. If in Philly, near Center City, he should try out Old St. Joseph’s (Jesuit) at 4th and Walnut or Saint John’s the Evangelist (Franciscan) at 13th between Market and Chestnut (I believe). Both are great parishes with much tradition and awesome priests…..Being a Saint Joe’s alum and thus Jesuit educated I will be the first to admit I have a soft spot for Old Saint Joe’s. Was married there too.

21. Comment by Marty Tantum | 2006/10/09 at 11:33:26

Oh by the way. this is a wonderful site! God Bless!

22. Comment by Michael Heaney PE | 2006/10/09 at 12:22:23

Good Afternoon Your Eminance,
    I read on EWTN about your Blog and wanted to write. I am from Boston but I live in Greensburg PA. I was born and raised in Saint Augustine’s Parish in South Boston. My parish had to be closed in 2004. My dad was Sextent at Saint Augustine’s parish for more than 30 years. He passed away in September 2004 and his funeral Mass was in Saint Augustine’s Church. It was a great parish with many Masses when I was young and May Processions each year through the neighborhood. I did weep when the church closed since I work many years with my Father there setting up Christmas Creche scene etc. It was a great parish but no one come to Mass anymore.

My friend is your friend also. My friend is Reverend John Ayoob Pastor of Saint Margaret Mary Parish in Moon Township PA. He sends me Post cards from his holidays. He was just in Italy for two weeks. Father Ayoob and you served together in Prison Ministry in Butler PA.

Best wishes for Health and Courage in your service.

23. Comment by Richard Breton | 2006/10/09 at 12:50:47

I first wish to offer my congratulations to you on your elevation to the College of Cardinals. You have a wealth of experiences too offer the Church.

I appreciate you sharing your trip to the Eternal City with us. I enjoyed reading about the Baptism you perfomed in St. Peter’s. What a grace filled moment.

I continue on my vocation journey, closer to Ordination. I thank you for your kindness and friendship to me.

May the Good Lord continue to Bless you in your ministry.

Oremus Pro Unvicem,

Richard

24. GTB
    Comment by GTB | 2006/10/09 at 14:57:15

Dear Cardinal, Thank you for not stopping your blog after your Rome trip…somehow it makes the hierarchy seem more human or accessible or something…instead of the popular idea that ‘they’ (priests etc) don’t really know what ‘real life’ is…which was kind of my dad’s (a professor) notion of the Church all the time we were growing up.
    The reason I’m sending this email is to ask for your prayers for my brother who lives in your diocese (Chestnut Hill). I’ve never been to Boston myself but he moved up there with his family (2 sons under 3 yrs old) a couple of years ago for his job & then got laid off. He’s job hunting now & needs your prayer support for that of course but mostly I’m asking you to pray that he & his family return to the Church. They go occasionally but its not a priority. This situation makes our mom very sad. I know alot of people write to you for help & I wouldn’t ask if it was just for me but they really need some prayers! Thank you.

25. Comment by Andrew | 2006/10/09 at 15:03:29

I enjoy your blog. It’s exciting that a cardinal of the Catholic Church should even have a weblog. I think you should post about theology and philosophy. You could post on things taught in the Catechism and the Bible, and explain on them even more. It would be a great way to catechize people online!! I’ll say a few prayers for you.

God Bless!

26. Comment by Caitlin | 2006/10/09 at 15:35:06

When you said, “…we reach maturity when we get to that point in life when we know the difference between having fun and being happy.” It really touched me.
    In my case it started very late in life for me to have fun. Then when I got to college I realized that fun and happy are two TOTALLY different things. Following Christ is the greatest move that I’ve ever made. When I am in the Chapel alone talking to God I am the happiest I have ever been.
    I thank-you so much for saying that to the young people. I just wish I could have heard it earlier!
    God bless you!

27. Comment by Boston Irish | 2006/10/09 at 16:53:44

As a lapsed Irish Catholic from Boston in his late 20′s, I can tell you that your blog is an excellent way to connect with the younger generation. I have found it fascinating to read and do hope that you continue it while back in Boston.

Thank You and God Bless!

28. Comment by michael g. b. | 2006/10/09 at 17:52:49

SISSY WILLIS — if you might permit a small comment on your question about the Amish “forgiveness” — this MAY in fact be the opposite pole from the Islamic radicals — it IS the teaching of Jesus Christ — “love your enemies and hate them not” . . . “turn the other cheek” . . . ” give you other tunic (cloak) and walk an extra mile” . . . the Amish have lived a life which follows these teachings in their “forgiveness” (as should any and all Christians i would think) . . .

granted it IS difficult, as we often tend to confuse our pain and grief with “vengeance, revenge or some form of “justice” . . . but in the Lord’s prayer (The Our Father) we say, “forgive Us OUR trespasses as WE forgive those who trespass against US.” — as we are all tainted by “the human condition’ we often fail at doing, trying or achieving this (and i’ll bet there are many Amish who hold their true emotions in check today) . . . but it is what our goal should be.

thank you for allowing me to interject these thoughts here . . . i am sure that Cardinal Sean will address your question with greater thought.

29. Comment by aloneinbako | 2006/10/09 at 20:14:46

Your eminance. I was reading an article on CNA (Catholic News Agency) and it had a link to your blog. I have found the site both heart warming and informative. I was raised Catholic, and like most, had no real feeling for the Church until the last few years and only after a lot of hardship. I consider St. Augustine as my patron Saint, as I was once a great sinner (as he was), and have since been trying to put that behind me. It has been difficult. I am currently living in Bakersfield CA, and am a member of a great Parish.

Unlike Augustine, I find myself called to married life. However, it has been impossible for me to meet anyone of like age, interests and even religion. I have, therefore, struggled to hold fast for that person, and involved myself with women who do not share my religious convictions. Do you have any suggestions on how I can meet, or hold on until I do meet, a good Catholic woman. Again, thank you for your time and consideration.

30. Comment by John Jakubczyk | 2006/10/09 at 22:03:11

Welcome back to the USA and welcome to the blogosphere. I wish you the best as you endeavor to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this new medium.

On a news note, your brother bishop Thomas Olmsted has just had published through Basilica Press a new booklet called “Catholics in the Public Square” addressing the moral responsibility Catholics have to properly form their consciences as they live the gospel through their actions in the public square. It addresses the important questions of the day especially as they concern voting and politics.

I recommend that your office secure copies for review and possible use.

See you in January at the March for Life.

Best regards,

John Jakubczyk
    Arizona Right to Life
    Phoenix, AZ

31. Comment by dorothy a sheehan | 2006/10/10 at 00:17:26

nice to have you back, your Eminence. What a treat to have you in charge of the Archdiocese of Boston and with the name, O’Malley.

32. Comment by FrBrian | 2006/10/10 at 00:26:09

Dear Cardinal,
    Thanks for your support and prayers. Peace, FrBrian

33. Comment by Maria | 2006/10/10 at 09:27:51

Just a note to say thank you for being accessible. It’s wonderful and healing for those who have suffered injury but wish to forgive. I know several people who will look to this blog as a means of seeing you as a human being.

Did you read other blogs? If so, which are your favorites? I didn’t see any favorite links on the page and was curious.

Thank you for having the courage and taking the time to blog. It means a lot to some of us.

34. Comment by Catheryne | 2006/10/10 at 11:14:21

Thank you so much for blogging your thoughts. It really inspires me to know that technology is being used to reach out to everyone. I am in my mid 20′s married with no kids. My husband and I fall into the gap between going to CCE classes/youth groups and needing the church for CCE classes for our kids. We have struggled over the past few years to find a place at a local church. (We are not in Boston, we live south of Houston, TX.) I honestly feel that we are forgotten by the church. Thats why we have started to rely more on podcasts and blogs to find a connection with the church.

Thanks and God Bless you!

Cat

35. Comment by Julia Russell | 2006/10/10 at 11:34:55

Hi Cardinal Sean…welcome back to Boston and thanks for continuing this website. This allows for a closer relationship with the leader of our Church in Boston which is so important in the world today. As long as people are talking there is always hope.
    It is when the silence of disinterest dominates that relationships break down and no one is heard.
    Will you be at the Cathedral on Saturday October 14 for any of the veneration of St John Vianney’s relics/confession?
    Thanks and God bless you,Julia Russell,South Easton,MA.

36. Comment by Jacques | 2006/10/10 at 12:34:18

Most Revererend Eminence,
    May the Lord give you the graces necessary to fulfill your sacred duties and leave this world in the state of grace.

As for that cross above the altar, I am ashamed to say, it’s really not beautiful. When I first saw it I thought it was some gigantic mechanical bug from those horror fiction movies. Mordern or not, it does not correspond to the sublime beauty of our Savior’s throne of love. Should modernity be an excuse for ugliness ? and should that be tolerated when it touches the most sacred elements of our divine religion ?
    Please accept my utmost respect & sincere prayers.

37. Comment by Jean-Marc | 2006/10/11 at 06:56:55

I was very surprised and happy to read about your blog. I was novice OFM in Italy until last year then I took a time to think more about my vocation. I am now involved in promotion of Solar Water Heating Systems in monasters and convents because I am convinced that the Church should show the example also for keeping the integrity of creation and those systems can help, also saving money.I live near Genoa, but I am very often in Rome, and it should be nice if you come back in Italy to speak together as brothers in Francis.
    May the Lord give us Peace.
    Best regards
    Jean-Marc Bollo

38. Comment by Sandro Feola | 2006/10/11 at 09:13:49

Thank you for your blog from italian young people! Grazie per voler essere vicini ai giovani, per voler comunicare loro la bellezza della Chiesa e della sua fede.
    Ci benedica.

Sandro Feola

39. Comment by Ervin Joseph Wegscheid | 2006/10/11 at 11:45:52

Your Emminence,

It was with much nostalgia that I read about your titular church Santa Maria della Vittoria. I spent 4 years two or three blocks down the street at San Carlino at Quattro Fontane. Santa Maria is a beautiful church. I do believe time for me to return.

40. Comment by MaureenMcCarthy | 2006/10/11 at 12:42:22

I am so happy to read your blog. I lived in the Virgin Islands from 1972-1980 and had the great privilege to call Bishop Edward Harper a personal friend.

May God continue to bless your efforts, to renew the faith in Boston and to call down the fruits and gifts of the Holy Spirit in abundance on you and the Archdiocese of Boston.

Soon, I will move to Palm Bay, Florida and after unpacking hoping to again do foreign missionary work. Please pray for the Holy Spirit to give me discernment. On November 26, I wil lbe 45 years professed as a Secular Franciscan and instead of just taking the promises of poverty, chastity and obedience, is it possible to actually take the vows of poverty,chastity and obedience on that day? Thanks and again, God bless.

41. Comment by John P. | 2006/10/11 at 13:52:50

Just thank you, Cardinal.

42. Comment by Tina | 2006/10/11 at 14:27:32

Hi Your Emminence, Cardinal Sean,

Thank you for your wonderful blog, may God Bless You, and May Our Mother, The Blessed Virgin Mary shower you with all the graces and gifts you need to continue this blog and to one of the many Holy Shepherd’s she cares for with her intercessions. I would like to know if you will be able to venerate the Relic of St Jean Vianney’s Heart that will be there in Boston? I have a devotion to him among other saints, and I pray that you will be able to venerate his relic and in turn will be blessed with many holy vocations. God Bless this work for you and may Our Lord’s peace be always with you.

43. Comment by ElsaLaska | 2006/10/11 at 17:21:40

Your Eminence!
    I’m a german visitor to your blog, living most of the time in Italia. I want to tell you, I love your blog with all these beautiful pictures and I want to encourage you to keep blogging on.
    It is really a joy for me to listen to you and look at these wonderful pictures you’ve made.
    Besides, I’m not catholic, but that doesn’t matter in this case, I think.
    Please keep on blogging, it’s such a great gift for me.

A la prossima!
    With all of my best wishes!
    Elsa.

44. Comment by Mike | 2006/10/11 at 17:33:36

Went to the ‘Christ Speaks in the City’ lecture today at the Old State House–it was very well done and a pleasure to attend. Was very impressed with all of your staff at the meeting. Thank you.

45. Comment by Fr. Anthony Akinwale, O.P. | 2006/10/12 at 10:20:12

Greetings from Ibadan, Nigeria. I enjoyed reading what you wrote about how you celebrated the feast of Blessed Father Francis. It is wonderful that you bring your Franciscan spirituality into your ministry as bishop. I often say to my Dominican brothers and sisters here in Nigeria that the greatest contribution a Dominican can make to the Church and to the world is simply to be Dominican. The same is true of the Franciscan. It is gratifying that I have among my students at the Dominican Institute in Ibadan Capuchin students who do just that.
    God bless you and the people of God in Boston.

46. Comment by John Umana | 2006/10/12 at 17:04:03

I’m glad I learned on the evening news that your Eminence had started a blog. It is a wonderful blog, and we enjoy your splendid photos of Rome and elsewhere. I was only a child of six or so, when my devoted parents (my dad was career U.S. Army), stationed in Frankfurt, Germany after WWII, took our family to the Vatican. Oh, how magnificent! Even today, I remember that trip so vividly. It was a visit so special and holy to all my family, and was capped by the blessing we received from the papal window of Pope Pius XII. When I see that our nation has remained safe after September 11, I see the hand of the Lord, the hand of Divine Providence, not the bluster of politicians. The thwarting of the shoe bomber, the thwarting of the July 21 attempted attacks last year in London, and the thwarting of the recent plot in London against airliners, are all examples of Divine Providence at work. I wish people would give God more credit for these miracles, but few do. I invite your Eminence and all of the Holy Church to devote yourselves more fully to the causes of peace, understanding, reconciliation and social justice on this Earth that has been torn asunder by religious strife and hatred, sadly invoking the name of the Most High. The divisions and violence on Earth are not Gods plan. All of us need to work more fervently for real and meaningful peace. Real peace is possible. I commend the hard work of our new Pope Benedict XVI in these efforts and his reaching out to other faiths. The Holy Fathers lead is one we all should follow.

Yours in Christ,

John Umana
    Washington, DC

47. Comment by Alphonsus Josemaria Soh | 2006/10/13 at 02:14:10

Greetings from Singapore. This is my first time reading a Cardinal’s web blog… ahaha! maybe Your Eminence you can give me some advise on vocation, entering the Franciscan Order or Redemptoris Mater Seminary. lastly if you would like to share about your vocation story…

~fjm outta……

48. Comment by Allen | 2006/10/13 at 07:29:35

Thank you continuing your blog and taking the time to explain some of the daily roles you are involved in as the Archbishop.
    I have recently returned home to the church and love learning more about our wonderful Faith and the daily roles of our Priest and Bishops. I am only sorry I did not pay more attention growing up maybe I would already know these things.
    Thank you for explaining about the Bishops of the Boston Province meeting and I did not know what the term the term Province meant, but now I do.

God Bless,
    Allen

49. Comment by Anne | 2006/10/13 at 19:10:28

Thank you for such a wonderful blog. People really need to hear the things you are saying. You have such a gift of faith which the internet is spreading to so many! I will keep checking weekly for more information to share with my 7th grade religious education class. God Bless you!

50. Comment by Marty Tantum | 2006/10/13 at 21:26:06

just wanted to add that “Eddie” in Philly should try either Old St. Joe’s (Jesuit) at 4th and Walnut or St. John’s the Evangelist (Franciscan) at 13th between Market and Chestnut if he works/lives near or in Center City. Both are great but I must admit I’m partial to Old St. Joe’s. (St. Joe’s Alum).

51. Comment by Fred Miller | 2006/10/14 at 08:45:31

What a great idea and what a wonderful site. Good for you to take the lead in starting your blog. I am going to write to our St. Pius church site to suggest that Fathers George and John follow your lead.

52. Comment by Michael G Tucker | 2006/10/14 at 15:35:47

I am so grateful that you take the time out of your busy schedule to write these wonderful blogs. I think this is so important to the catholic community. You radiate your true faith and commitment to the archdiocese of Boston each day.

I look forward to meeting you as we celibrate the 5th anniversary of the most successful merge of three parishes in Revere. Saint Anthony of Padua Parishoners cannot thank you enough !

May the blessing of our Lord Jesus be with you always.

53. Comment by Francis T. Seery | 2006/10/14 at 19:01:21

Mary Jane and I are delighted to hear of Father Robert Hennessey’s recent appointment to Bishop in the Archdiocese. Although we are now in Fr. Robert Donovan’s parish at St. John The Evangelist, we were previously parishioners of 40 years in Needham at St. Joseph Parish. A finer priest you could not have picked. May Our Lord continue to bless you in your work.

Frank and Mary Jane Seery
    Monument Beach, MA

54. Comment by dani MarieBernadette D’Angelo | 2006/10/15 at 00:58:07

Such a treat to come here and see that you are back home and continuing with your blog. I look forward to checking in to see what is new. I have a question that I hope you will answer for me. I went to confession and I mentioned that I miss Mass due to being at work but also on my sundays off I sometimes sleep in and then I stop going to Mass altogether until I can get to confession because in the state of mortal sin I am not able to go to Holy Communion. The priest told me that missing mass on sundays is not a mortal sin and asked me where I heard that. I told him it was drilled into me by the good nuns during eight years of catholic school. He said that has changed since Vatican ll . Has it? It is just so hard to know what is right anymore.
    Perhaps if Confession was held in parishes for more than one half hour we would have more vocations ? Thank you for listening and may God Bless you and your Bishops abundantly.

55. Comment by Mary E. Delabruere | 2006/10/15 at 09:47:59

I was blessed to be able to venerate the sacred relic of St. John Vianney yesterday. “Home” for me is the Springfield diocese; but Boston is never too far to travel for Church family celebrations and events. I wish to express my gratitude for the event. Know that you are in my prayers.
    God Bless. Pax et Bonum.
    Mary E. Delabruere

56. Comment by Ted Kehn | 2006/10/15 at 10:58:31

Dear Father O’Malley,
    My R.C. cousin from Long Island sent me a clipping about your new blog. It (the blog) is well-organized and thought out and the included pictures are excellent.
    When I saw your picture on the clipping I was struck by the resemblance of your kind smile and beard to our Anglican Archbishop Rowan Williams of Canterbury Cathedral.
    I am recommending your blog to my cousin.
    Ted

57. Comment by anthony mangini | 2006/10/16 at 12:40:47

Your Eminence: congratulations on your new blog your comments from Rome were fascinating and interesting–I believe like all good things created by God, the internet will be the best thing for the Catholic church in the future–our world is at our finger tips—-corresponding and exchanging comments with each other and other Catholics in my opinion will significantly add to our spiritual dimension and assist our souls in the process of achieving redemption–met you at St. Mary’s after the St. John Vianney’s service–and thanked you for saving Sacred Heart church in Waltham–God Bless you and keep you Vivat Jesus

58. Comment by | 2006/10/17 at 05:39:46

Dear Cardinal,
    Thank you for your encouragement to us.
    I was at Newark when you headed the cannonical visit to our seminary. Now I am in mission in the South of France.
    I am the pastor and administrator of two parishes in Toulon.
    All I would ask from you is to pray for me as you pray, celebrate and remember those in Mission next sunday.
    The Peace of Christ be with you. Yours in Christ, P. Leonardo

59. Comment by Stephanie | 2006/10/17 at 20:23:32

Dear Cardinal,
    I truly loved hearing about your journey to Padre Pio and the pictures were wonderful. It is through Padre Pio, that GOD had called me two years ago. It was my praying with his relic that changed my life forever. I am thankful for this gift from The Lord that through Padre Pio, my life will never be the same. I will be going to San Giovanni Rotondo next year to give thanks to St. Pio and to Our Lord.

“Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; give the world the best you have anyway. You see, in the final analysis it is between you and GOD; it was never between you and them anyway.” – Mother Teresa

60. Comment by Ryan | 2006/10/18 at 08:07:46

Pax et Bonum. Greetings Your Eminence, from Brazil. My name is Ryan and I am a Father Kolbe Missionary of the Immaculata here in So Paulo Brazil where I work with the apostolate of mass-media. Our institute is small and only nine years old so dont be surprised if you have not heard of it, but our female branch has a house in California where I first heard about them. Anyway, I wanted to congradulate you on this blog and it is a truly beautiful thing for the people to see how much their sheperd cares for them. When I lived in the states (up untill march) I had really heard very little of my bishop, save when I was confirmed. Here in Brazil, CNBB has a very active role in the lives of the people, but the realities of the US and Brazil are hardly comparable. I was so happy when I read about this site on CNA and when I visited and saw your stories and pictures, well, no h palavras. Please continue your work and I hope other bishops will start blogs too. After all, as I have learned after meeting a number of bishops, you are a very freindly, caring, and concerned bunch of people and you give your lives for your flock in ways that they never imagine. God Bless you. Ryan

61. Comment by Dorothy Leonard | 2006/10/18 at 13:28:02

God bless you, Cardinal Sean, and your leap of faith into cyberspace! It was great to hear about it in the National Catholic Register. I pray for you daily!

62. Comment by Pierluigi Varvesi | 2006/10/19 at 12:49:09

early this morning I was praying at my home in Rome with my wife and four of our six sons. Today the Church remembers also some american martyrs, and we have read a letter written by one of them, offering his life for the conversion of american people. We were all crying, because Francesco, 23 years old, the third of our sons, was leaving for your Redemptoris Mater seminary in Boston, as a gift by the roman Church and also by our family to your Archdiocese. Francesco is flying now from Italy, tonight he will start his new life in US. If his vocation will be confirmed in next years, he will become an american priest, an american missionary.
    We are suffering now, you know, but we are praying for that.
    Now I am at work, but I am yet with my hearth in Boston. So I started surfing in Internet, looking for you city and your websites, I encountered your blog, and suddendly I started writing you. I want to say you that we are full of gratitude for all what our Father is doing every day in our life, full of gratitude for our mother the Church, and that is for us an undeserved privilege to have the concrete possibility of suffering something for the Gospel.
    But our faith is so little and the spiritual combat becomes harder every day.
    Pray for us in Rome, we will pray for you all in Boston.
    God bless you
    Pierluigi

63. Comment by Myriam Dox-Frias | 2006/10/19 at 14:40:57

Dear Padre Sean,
    You are awesome! All through your life, time and distance you continue to touch people’s lives. It is a great blessing to read your blog. Gracias Padre y que Dios le bendiga siempre.
    Myriam Frias-Dox

64. Comment by Regina | 2006/10/25 at 11:41:37

Thank you for this opportunity to leave a comment… Is there any chance that the Tridentine Mass might become more available? We’ve been praying for years for it’s return. I’ve heard rumors that it’s coming back… dare I hope?
    In the state of Maine, there is only one authorized Tridentine Mass, and it’s an hours drive from where I live. And oddly, I live in the highest density population in our state! (Lewiston-Auburn) We even have a Basilica – but no Tridentine Mass. If this sounds like shameless begging….it is! :-) Keeping you, and all priests and religious in prayer. +Pax Christi! + Gina