Good News From Rome – Two New Auxiliary Bishops For Boston

Good morning.

I wanted to share good news with you. Please find below an announcement made this morning. This is our official press release…I thought you might wish to join us in celebrating this news and also might enjoy seeing the “official press release.”

I plan on making my weekly post, as scheduled, tomorrow.

Until then….

God Bless,

Cardinal Sen

POPE BENEDICT XVI NAMES NEW AUXILIARY BISHOPS FOR THE ARCHDIOCESE OF BOSTON
Pope Benedict XVI Grants Cardinal OMalleys Request for two New Auxiliary Bishops:

Reverend John A. Dooher, Pastor of St. Mary Parish in Dedham
And
Reverend Robert Hennessey, Pastor of Most Holy Redeemer in East Boston

BRIGHTON, MA Pope Benedict XVI has informed Cardinal Sen OMalley that Reverend John A. Dooher, Pastor of St. Mary Parish in Dedham and Reverend Robert Hennessey, Pastor of Most Holy Redeemer in East Boston, have been named Auxiliary Bishops for the Archdiocese of Boston.

Cardinal Sen received this news with gratitude for the Holy Fathers pastoral care of the Archdiocese and has announced that bishop-elect Dooher will be assigned to the South region and bishop-elect Hennessey will be assigned to the Central region of the Archdiocese.

Pope Benedict XVI has also granted Bishop John Boles request for retirement – Bishop Boles currently serves as the Auxiliary for the Central region.

The Ordination of the two new Auxiliary Bishops will take place on December 12, 2006 at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston; details will be forthcoming. Bishops-elect Dooher and Hennessey will also continue in their current roles at their parishes until replacements are appointed.

We are very grateful to our Holy Father for granting our request for new Auxiliary Bishops for the Archdiocese of Boston, stated Cardinal OMalley. Fr. Dooher and Fr. Hennessey are uniquely gifted, truly dedicated to the Church of Boston and have exemplified great leadership in their ministries, for the good of the Archdiocese and the greater glory of God. I look forward to working with them, as together, we continue to serve Catholics of Boston, rededicate our mission to ministry at the parish level and continue our efforts towards the rebuilding and strengthening of the Church in Boston.

On behalf of the entire Archdiocese, I also wish to express my gratitude to Bishop Boles for his many years of faithful service. We have been blessed with his leadership. I look forward to his continued contributions as Bishop Emeritus of the Archdiocese.

Reverend Robert Hennessey, 54, has been Pastor of Most Holy Redeemer in East Boston since 1994, serving a very diverse parish, including a large Spanish-speaking congregation. After his ordination in May 1978, Fr. Hennessey served as Parochial Vicar at St. Joseph in Hanson (1978-81), St. Peter in Plymouth (1981-82) and St. Joseph in Needham (1983-86). He also pursued graduate studies at Moreau Seminary at Notre Dame, Indiana (1982-83) and served in the Society St. James (1986-94), a program founded by Cardinal Cushing for priests to serve the Church in Latin America. Additionally, Fr. Hennessey was selected to serve a four-year appointment on the Clergy Personnel Board in 2003 and is a member of both the Presbyteral Council and the College of Consultors. While serving as Pastor in his most recent assignment, Fr. Hennessey also served as Administrator at Our Lady of the Airways Chapel at Logan Airport (1995-98) and at Our Lady of the Assumption in East Boston (1998-2001). Fr. Hennessey was born in South Boston.

I am grateful to Pope Benedict XVI and Cardinal Sen for my appointment as an Auxiliary Bishop of Boston, said Fr. Hennessey. I am deeply humbled. I look forward to working closely with the Cardinal and with the other Auxiliary Bishops of Boston. I am also looking forward to working with the people of the Central Region, the religious and with my brother priests, with whom I feel a deep fraternal and united bond. May God bless all of us in the Church of Boston.

Fr. John Dooher, 63, was born in Dorchester, MA and was ordained at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in May 1969. He has served as Pastor of St. Mary Parish in Dedham since 1996, the home of one of the Archdioceses most thriving LIFE TEEN programs for young Catholics. Following his ordination, Fr. Dooher served as Parochial Vicar at both St. Francis Xavier Cabrini in South Weymouth (1969-74) and St. Augustine Parish in South Boston (1974-1982). He also served as the Senate President for Archdiocesan Priests from 1982-1984 and was the Director of the Office of Spiritual Development for the Archdiocese from 1984-1991, a leadership position responsible for overseeing the spiritual renewal program and retreats for parishes and for priests and religious. Fr. Dooher is currently a member of both the Presbyteral Council and the College of Consultors. Prior to his appointment as Pastor at St. Mary, Fr. Dooher served as Administrator for Sts. Peter and Paul Parish, St. Vincent de Paul Parish and Our Lady of Good Voyage Chapel in South Boston from 1991 to 1996.

I wish to thank the Holy Father and Cardinal Sen, said Fr. Dooher. I am humbled by the trust placed in me. As I begin this new role serving the Church of Boston, I look forward to working with priests, religious and lay men and women in the continued renewal and strengthening of our parishes. I will strive to serve with a generous heart.

###

16 Responses to Good News From Rome – Two New Auxiliary Bishops For Boston

Comments

1. Comment by AmericanPapist | 2006/10/12 at 09:58:34

Praise be God!

2. Comment by Sandro Feola | 2006/10/12 at 10:21:09

We will pray for them!.

3. Comment by Matthew S | 2006/10/12 at 10:46:09

Let me join with the people of Boston and the Universal Curch in rejoicing in the fact that two new Apostles are rising up to follow Christ. May God bless and keep them. May they be faithful servants of God and His people in this new calling from the Lord.

Under the Mercy,
    Matthew S

4. Comment by normaanna | 2006/10/12 at 15:29:36

Thanks and God bless.

5. Comment by Esther | 2006/10/12 at 16:21:07

That is wonderful news Your Eminence. Great day to have the ordination take place too!!

6. Comment by Lonnie Nord | 2006/10/12 at 17:38:27

Praise GOD. Yes we must pray for these new bishops and all our bishops and priests!!

7. Comment by Colleen Berding | 2006/10/12 at 17:39:29

Eminence:

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. It is a such a pleasure to read, however, I do have one question…
    Do you laugh as much as the lol’s suggest? :)

Please suggest to your fellow bishops throughout the US to follow your lead. We need more priests and bishops to blog about the faith, when so many people are online. To get more people into the pews, you have to go where they go, and more and more, they are online. Static web pages are nice (our diocese has archstl.org) but the human touch, as you so wonderfully demonstrate, is sorely needed.

Again, thank you for taking the lead in the blogosphere.

Colleen Berding
    Webmaster

8. Comment by RJ Orbeta, S.J. | 2006/10/12 at 20:23:36

Together with the Faithful of Boston and with the Universal Church, we thank God for the gift of two new “shepherds.” We pray that the Good Shepherd will mold the hearts of Fr. Hennesey and Fr. Dooher into His own heart, one filled with compassion, mercy, and love.

Our prayers for the new Cardinal, the two new auxiliary Bishops, and for the Church of Boston!

9. Comment by Maria Teresa Frias | 2006/10/12 at 21:29:18

Dear Padre Sean, we are very happy for all of you and keep you all in our prayers.

10. Comment by brother lesser | 2006/10/13 at 09:15:12

The bread we beg is holy bread…therefore, we pray for these newly elevated Ausiliary Bishops because it is only through the consecrated hands of our priests that we can receive the Body and Blood of our Lord, Jesus Christ…

May they, like you Cardinal Sean, be a beacon of light and hope in our dark world!

11. Comment by Mary Gabriel | 2006/10/13 at 14:10:26

Deo gratias! We are blessed! Be assured of our prayers for your service to the archdiocese.

12. Comment by dorothy a sheehan | 2006/10/13 at 15:48:54

kudos to fr. hennessey and fr. drooher. cant wait for father drooher to sing on going my way again .. what a voice.
    can one imagine a bishop going to hollywood.

13. Comment by barbara | 2006/10/22 at 07:25:00

Let me first hasten to say that I am a convert circa 1976, shortly after my marriage in 1974. Some of your deeper writings I have to struggle with a bit but as I got SAINT OF THE DAY in email for a few years I do understand somewhat. The Tridentine mass my husband and I talked about this and he said he was “the mass of the people” so he understands Pope Benedict’s desire to bring the Tridentine followers closer to the main body of the one true church. I understand, too, I just get confused about what it is they are doing on EWTN and I confess, the daily masses I might watch I jump out after the homily. I simply do not go along with switching over to Latin for the rest of the mass.

I do not know if you are a cursillista, but in cursillo, there is an arm of cursillo called KAIROS that goes into prisons. That is the ministry my husband and I do, Cursillo and Kairos, and I spend a lot of time networking, both physically and on the computer, with these two. I encourage anyone who takes the sacraments to look into cursillo http://www.natl-cursillo.org/houston/ is the houston link, leave off the /houston for the national link, and once someone has completed a cursillo weekend then they can work on a Kairos team. We find it very rewarding. And these young collegiates that you are reaching, you can do both of these fitting it into your schedule either during the year or summer or winter break, depending on where you live. you are welcome to contact me for that or the good cardinal as I said I hope is a cursillista.

I love your beautiful pictures.

And is the Columkille you are going to the very same one that is written about in CATHOLIC DIGEST? by Sean Patrick? ok. I think I am done now. keep up the good work!

14. Comment by Brian Durkin | 2006/10/24 at 14:59:55

We hope to see you at St. Patrick Parish in Lawrence soon. I look forward in your visit. Keep up the wonderful work you do for the Archdiocese and the Church.

15. Comment by James Austin McNamee | 2006/10/26 at 16:59:29

Great bog, Cardinal Sean…still recovering from my latest fall , 6 shattered bones in left leg..like a windshield crack in the bones..on crutches etc..thinking and praying for you and the Church in Boston…best Job

16. Comment by John Joseph Fahey | 2006/10/27 at 09:08:40

It is exciting that the Archdiocese of Boston will consecrate two new bishops; the parishioners of St. Peter’s Chruch in Dorchester – the parish that welcomed so many immigrants over its 135 years history, looks forward in continuing its mission of serving so many. Hopefully, we’ll be able to celebrate a Mass of Thanksgiving in th enot too distant future.