Vocations retreats

Recently, I heard from many enthusiastic Boston College students that crucifixes and religious pictures have appeared in the classrooms over the semester break.  BC has had crucifixes in some of their classrooms, and they just completed the task of adding crucifixes to the remaining classrooms.  They were very happy to report on this development.

Cucifix

Though the story was first covered by a student newspaper, The Observer, the general public became aware of it this week when The Boston Globe and the Boston Herald also covered it.

Sadly, some faculty members objected, claiming that Boston College was not being tolerant of them. Actually, I think the intolerance is on the part of those who do not want us to exhibit these symbols of our faith. The Catholic community should be encouraged by Father Leahy’s leadership in this area, and I am so pleased that the students, who are the reason for the university, are so favorable to the presence of religious symbols.

Over this past weekend, Blessed John XXIII and St. John’s Seminaries both held retreats for men considering a vocation to the priesthood.

Friday, I attended Blessed John XXIII seminary for their vocations retreat, where I held Mass and ate lunch with the 19 prospective seminarians who participated.

Blessed John RetreatIMG_9554_1

In the afternoon, I gave them a conference. There were many other activities planned for them including attending classes with the seminarians on Saturday morning. It was very hospitable of the faculty at Blessed John to house the retreatants in the seminary for the weekend.

From there, I went to The Connors Family Retreat and Conference Center in Dover to be with the other retreatants who are prospective seminarians for St. John’s.

Bstn_discernment2009__gm_023

The St. John’s retreat was not held in the seminary as it has been in past years because enrollment is so high, there was not enough room for them. Throughout the weekend the seminarians from St. John’s went to Dover to attend the different activities and to be helpful to the young men.

Bstn_discernment2009__gm_008

Though it would have been nice to have the men at the seminary, I have to say it was a great problem to have!

Bstn_discernment2009__gm_035

I spent the rest of the weekend, from Friday evening until Sunday, leading the retreat there. We had Holy Hours, Masses and talks together. The retreat concluded with a closing Mass and meal at St. John’s on Sunday.

bstn_dscrnt_rtrt_spring_2009_25

bstn_dscrnt_rtrt_spring_2009_78_1

It was very encouraging that there were over 40 men participating in the retreat. I was impressed by their caliber. Many are presently undergraduate students or recent graduates of  Boston College, Harvard, Boston University and other area colleges.

On Monday I met with Lisa Alberghini of the Planning Office for Urban Affairs. POUA, one of the justice ministries of the archdiocese, is beginning work to help people facing foreclosures who may be at risk of losing their homes.

In these very difficult economic times this risk is becoming all too real for many people. With the help of intern Molly Ekerdt, POUA will soon be sending notices to parishes throughout the archdiocese providing information for parish bulletins on where people can call or go for help.  They are also exploring holding meetings in regions hard hit by foreclosures, at which people could get more detailed information and more personalized help.

In addition, the office is looking at the possibility of acquiring some foreclosed properties in order to renovate them for housing for people of modest means. That effort to acquire and renovate foreclosed properties would also help revitalize neighborhoods that have seen an increasing number of vacant, abandoned properties.

In our meeting, Lisa talked about how foreclosures are affecting many individuals and families throughout all types of communities and at all income levels, and that people should not feel hesitant about getting assistance. It is very important that people know that early intervention can save their home, and anyone having difficulty making mortgage payments should seek help.

Monday night, Dr. Joseph Aoun, President of Northeastern University, invited us to a reception at the TD BankNorth Garden to celebrate their hockey team’s participation in the Championship game at the annual Beanpot hockey tournament, having defeated Boston College the week before.   It was the first time in quite a while that they had been a part of the finals, so they were celebrating both their renewed participation and success thus far.

citytop4

The reception was held before the game, which I think was very prudent of them as they were up against a very formidable rival. As a matter of fact, they did lose to Boston University, but they played very well.  It was also good to see Bob Gittens, Neal Finnegan and many other very active members of our archdiocese who are associated with Northeastern who were present at the game to cheer them on.  We, of course congratulate, BU for their win.

Tuesday, I met with Father Bill Kelly, Marianne Luthin, John Burkly and Peter Braudis at the cathedral so they could give me a report on the Holy Hours for Life, which were organized by the Deacons for Life.

ProLife100_1386_jpg

ProLife100_1387_jpg

There were several thousand people throughout who participated in the Holy Hours which were held on or just before January 22, the anniversary of the Supreme Court’s Roe vs. Wade decision which is, of course, also the date of the March for Life in Washington, D.C.

Some who participated in the March went to the Holy Hours at their own parishes before departing and so it was a sort of send off for them before they left their fellow parishioners and went to Washington. However, in many places, the Holy Hour was celebrated on the March for Life day itself.  In that way, those who could not make the trip to Washington could join in the march through prayer.

The Deacons for Life came together around this issue with great enthusiasm.  For next year, we hope to encourage more parish-wide participation in the Holy Hours. The key to doing that will be to get the Holy Hour on the parish calendar ahead of time.

As we are poised to begin a postcard campaign around the so-called Freedom of Choice Act (known as FOCA), I am counting on the Deacons for Life to be very helpful in that project working with Marianne Luthin in our Pro-Life Office.

Tuesday, we visited with Father Robert Barron, a priest in the Archdiocese of Chicago. He is a professor of theology at the University of Mundelein Seminary as well as an author and a nationally acclaimed lecturer and retreat master. Cardinal Francis George of Chicago has assigned him to do work on the evangelization of the culture.

FrBarron_100_1389_jpg

priority-of-christ

During our meeting he gave me a copy of his recently published book, entitled “The Priority of Christ” and told me about a new project he is working on. It is a series of 10 television programs that explain Catholicism and explore the practice of Catholicism throughout the world. He has a professional team of people working on this project who came to the meeting to show me some of the footage. It will be a wonderful program. Father Barron was going to appear on CatholicTV last night to preview the series there as well. He is truly a wonderful theologian and an engaging speaker. He and his team have been traveling all over the world as they gather footage for their series. I was particularly fond of the beautiful scenes in Rome and the Holy Land.

They presented me with a DVD containing the trailer of the series, which I would like to share with you:

Tuesday evening, I went to Vespers and dinner with the seminarians at the Redemptoris Mater House of Formation. As always, we had a nice visit with them and sang many songs in Spanish and Portuguese.

RM_IMG_0763

RM_IMG_0719

At the end of the evening the seminarians gave me DVDs of two films: Ostrov, a Russian film about a soldier who, haunted by an experience in World War II, finds forgiveness after entering an Orthodox monastery; and Ushpizin, a film about an Orthodox Jewish family in Jerusalem experiencing a sort of “miracle” during the Jewish festival of Sukkot.

RM_IMG_0773

I have not seen either one yet, but I understand they are excellent films.  The seminarians even invited me back for a “movie night” with them!  I look forward to it.

Until next week: Blessings to you all!

12 Responses to Vocations retreats

Comments

1. twe
    Comment by twe | 2009/02/14 at 09:34:52

How encouraging to see so many men considering the priesthood! It is one of my fondest prayers. We need HOLY vocations to all states of life-holy marriages, holy priesthood, holy religious life, holy single life. All work together to build up the Church and the Kingdom of God.

I read one of Robert Barron’s books last year. So, it was wonderful for me to see and hear him in the trailer. Thank you!

Thank you, also, Cardinal Sean for your always inspiring Blog. It is top-notch and a refreshing change of pace…for the good.

Keeping you in prayer. May God always bless you abundantly.

2. Comment by Magnus | 2009/02/14 at 10:14:43

I just wish to commend your humble example in helping those discerning their call to the priesthood.I’ve only seen you in pictures but your person has always been a reminder to me of what christian life should be.You are just that simple,humble capuchin brother,always bearing in your appearance the humble life of Nazareth despite your high position.I just want to tell you that your appearance is changing a lot of lives across the globe.You are a rare gift to the church.Who can imagine – a cardinal always in a poor capuchin habit.Keep it up Your Eminence!
    (I’m an english teacher from africa but living in China.)
    -Magnus
    (Inner Mongolia,China)

3. Comment by Mike in Rockland | 2009/02/14 at 14:23:31

Bravo, Father Leahy! How many classrooms do you have at Boston College? I will happily donate a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe, The Protectress of the Unborn, for each.

4. Comment by Jill Gordon | 2009/02/14 at 15:26:55

As a recent convert to Catholicism, I must comment as to the issue of the display of the crucifix (as seen through the eyes of a former “outsider”).

When I saw a crucifix, prior to my conversion, I was in awe of the faith and history surrounding this symbol. It was so revered by those whose worship involved the crucifix, and the humility and self-sacrifice that it represented, that I had to learn more. I became fascinated, indeed drawn, to learn about the Catholic faith. I had many friends who were of the faith, and I respected their commitment

People should not criticize and be intimidated by other’s display
    of religion. Rather, they should become less ignorant and more aware of the meaning of it all. This kind of respect and tolerance is an important message that our Lord was, in his life and sacrifice, trying to convey to us all.

5. Comment by Br. Jay Rivera, OSF | 2009/02/15 at 19:34:07

As a Francsican myself, I look at the recovery in the Archdiocese of Boston under the leadership of Friar Caridnal Sean, OFM, Cap and I am reminded of that moment in San Damiano, 800 years ago, when Francis heard the voice of Christ from the cross. “Francis, go repair my Church. Can’t you see that it is fallen into ruins?”

I think that our Franciscan brother the Cardinal, has brought with him the message that Christ sent us through St. Francis. This example must be taken note of by all. Francis and Friar Sean are not the only ones called to rebuild the Church. They are called to set an example for all of us to join.

The Archdiocese of Boston is truly blessed. You have among you a son of Francis modeling the message from the cross at San Damiano. “Go and rebuild the Church.”

Every Catholic man and woman in the Archidocese is invited by Christ to this mission. I congratulate the Archdiocese for having the message delivered to you by one of Francis’ sons and I encourage you to embrace the message with a heart filled with joy and enthusiasm. “Go and rebuild the Church.” Become a light among the nations.

Fraternally,

Br. Jay, OSF

6. Comment by RealEstateCafe | 2009/02/17 at 10:18:56

I am so pleased to read that the Planning Office for Urban Affairs is “beginning work to help people facing foreclosures who may be at risk of losing their homes.”

Beyond those facing foreclosure, an estimated one in four households are “upside down” or “under water” on their mortgages; ie. the outstanding balance on their mortgage exceeds the current market value of their property. Their pain and fear can be traumatizing, too, and tragically sometimes is part of a downward spiral of loss: loss of health, loss of a job, loss of a marriage.

As the government mobilizes a financial safety net for those facing foreclosure, does it make sense for the interfaith community and helping professions to create psychological and spiritual safety nets with local communities and parishes? Has anyone in Greater Boston or Massachusetts already taken the lead on this? If not, how can one learn more about the range of responses that POUA is exploring and how real estate professionals, like me, and parishioners can get involved?

I am particularly interested in (1) developing a network of centering prayer groups so those experiencing financial (and potentially marital) instability can find spiritual support weekly, (2) using new media, like this blog, to extend spiritual safety net onlines, and (3) hosting an interfaith summit on the Feast of St. Joseph or use the same occasion to seed regional spiritual safety nets / centering prayer groups.

Please let us know how we can get involved in this important ministry.

7. Comment by BRIAN EARLEY | 2009/02/17 at 22:52:12

The Christian Encouragement is alive, to pray and live good christian lives of virtue, humbly the task before us deserve genuine engagement.

8. Comment by william J Waters | 2009/02/17 at 23:49:42

Cardinal Se’an’s

I know things your working on are hard today.
    all see you, say the thing great work you are doing.

I’m looking for addvice but time is short, tho flok is on street and lost need Healing, Food, Cothing. And their love GOD.

I’m Many of GOD’s Soldiers come to GOD”S Childen are in need item’s. Pary pray pray Are God is Geart! we need help with
    A Building, Repairs, Van, or truck, what ever god give.
    Thank him only. Thank you for your time God Bless you.

Working with Fr Tom Dilorenzo, Like you in so many ways,
    Make it happen. Love that talk! Dive on with God and Prays

9. Comment by Manlio Méndez | 2009/02/18 at 21:07:25

Muy querido Cardenal.
    Quiero comentarle que hace falta una sección en Español, tanto en su su blog, como en el periódico The Pilot.

Tengo dos semanas tratando de conseguir una o dos noticias que vengan de la Iglesia, sobre la Iglesia en Boston y sus alrededores, específicamente sobre las comunidades latinas, al revisar y llamar a las diferentes iglesias, sólamente me encuentro con anuncios de actividades, retiros y cosas así, y la mayoría de los medios, publican las cosas en Inglés.

Estas noticias las necesitaba para un noticiero en Radio María, que se va a transmitir este Sábado 21 de Febrero, desde Radio Maria New York, pero no encontré nada. Ahora mismo estoy tratando de traducir algo que encontré en The Pilot, pero no creo que lo termine.

Gracias por su trabajo.
    Paz y Bien
    Manlio

10. Comment by Steve Walker | 2009/02/19 at 10:51:09

Thank you for your blog! I am Antiochian Orthodox and I attend
    St. Mary’s Orthodox Church in Cambridge. “Ostrov” is a very
    moving and powerful film on faith and redemption. I have had
    very interesting conversations with both Catholic and Orthodox
    friends about the film. I hope you enjoy it and I encourage
    everyone to see it. It would make a great film to view and discuss during the Lenten season.

11. Comment by Kate | 2009/02/20 at 12:41:41

It is wonderful that Boston College is putting up crucifixes in classrooms. My grandfather went to college at BC and is very happy to hear about it. I look forward to next week’s blog! God Bless!

~Kate
    St.Paul School
    Hingham MA

12. Comment by Salvia | 2009/10/15 at 17:33:54

I’m so glad that this they’re putting crucifixes at Boston College. I’m still need another year to go there, and I’m already excited about it. God bless you Cardinal Sean.